Help:Introduction to editing
Editing a page
It's very easy to edit the contents of a wiki:
- Click the "Edit" page tab at the top of a page.
- Make changes to the text.
- Click the "Save page" button.
It really is as simple as that.
Editing rules, editing conventions, and formatting
The number one rule of wiki editing is to be bold. Go ahead - make changes. Other people can correct any mistakes you make, so have confidence and give it a try! There are all kinds of editing conventions, rules, and philosophies for the editing of wiki pages, but the "be bold" rule is the most important of these!
An edit can contribute whole new paragraphs or pages of information, or it can be as simple as fixing a typo or a spelling mistake. In general, try to add or edit text so that it is clear and concise. Most importantly, make sure you are always aiming to do something which improves the contents of the wiki.
When you need to use some type of formatting, such as for a new headings or bolding of text, you do this using wiki syntax, or via the buttons and drop-downs in the toolbar above the editing zone. See Help:Editing for some of the common types of wiki formatting used. It is strongly recommended that you preview your changes—either by clicking the "Show preview" button below the edit window, or by clicking on the "Preview" tab above the editor—before saving them, in order to avoid any unnecessary edits.
Other than the edit button, there are a number of other tabs which lead to different places and have different functions.
The first two tabs link to:
- The article - the main content goes here
- Discussion - The article talk page is where editors can ask questions, make suggestions, or discuss corrections.
The next few tabs are there to assist with editing the content of selected page.
- Edit - this leads to the raw wikitext and allows you to edit the content of the active
- History - this contains a list of every saved edit made to a page, with the date and the author of each edit beside it. Clicking on the date takes you to a previous revision.
- Move - this tab is only available to logged in users who have made at least 10 edits and who have been registered for 3 days. This enables you to rename the page.
The combination of these three tabs means that any accidental or incorrect edits can be undone later without causing any problems.
Content in this section is based on the help documents for Wikipedia and the Guild Wars 2 Wiki. In accordance with the Guild Wars 2 Wiki's licensing terms, the material on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) 1.2.