Images for the Archive
Adding images to the Archive is a great way to enhance the content of an article, or liven up a userpage. Here are some basics on how to upload and format images to be wiki friendly. Image use is regulated by our image use policy.
In order to upload images, users must register a free account.
To upload an image, click on Upload file in the Toolbox section of the sidebar.
- Browse - Look for the image you wish to upload.
- Destination filename - Change the destination filename to reflect the image naming conventions.
- Summary - Summarise your file, making sure to include the relevant image use tag template.
- Licensing - Choose the correct file licensing type.
Once you've clicked Upload file, you will redirected to your image once it's been uploaded. You can also create a link
[[File:<image name>.<extension>]] on the page you wish the image to appear on. Then click on the red link. This allows you to verify the image name is correct before uploading it.
Making images wiki friendly
- Permitted file types: jpg, png, svg, jpeg, gif.
- Although files up to 64 megabytes can be uploaded, there is no need for any image to be that large. Any image that is larger than a few hundred kilobytes can cause issues for people trying to view the page that it is used on, so it is recommended that images be no larger than 500kb. Files should generally be uploaded as .jpg to keep the file size down, with an exception for icons, which should be .png.
- General web friendly image sizing should be kept in mind when uploading an image.
- Use descriptive titles. Suffix the filename with the content description. For example, acceptable map names would be "File:Stoneship map.jpg" or "File:Jungle island map.jpg".
- Avoid overly long or complicated image names, or image names containing any type of punctuation marks.
Select the appropriate licensing tag for your image
- None selected - no license
- Screenshot - images captured from one of the games in the Myst series
- Concept art - official concept art for one of the games in the Myst series
- Render - pre-production renders of objects or characters from one of the games in the Myst series
- Book or journal cover - a cropped image of the cover of a book or journal found in one of the games in the Myst series
- Icon - iconography from one of the games in the Myst series (such as KI icons)
- Generic Cyan image - images from official sources other than screenshots, concept art, renders, book covers, or icons
- Public domain - images released into the w:Public domain
- Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International - original artwork that is free to be released under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 license
- Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International - original artwork that is free to be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 license
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International - original artwork that is free to be released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 license
Replacing an existing image
Replacing an image that already exists can be done by simply using the Upload a new version of this file link on the image page. This maintains the proper name and image history and allows an image to be reverted to a prior version if the new version is decided to be not an improvement.
Screenshots and other images
Any image not taken from the game, or directly from an alternative official source must comply with Copyright policy. Be sure to determine if your image is copyrighted prior to uploading it.
Content in this section is based on the help documents for Wikipedia and the Guild Wars 2 Wiki. In accordance with the Guild Wars 2 Wiki's licensing terms, the material on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) 1.2.