The Serenian spirit guides are elemental spirits of wind, water, or fire who serve as guides to the Serenian Dream World. Visiting Dream without the assistance of a spirit guide is likely to prove disasterous for the traveler.
Three of the Protectors of Serenia—Zanika, Raeane, and Moiri—are specialists in aiding seekers to determine which spirit guide is most appropriate to their nature. This process normally takes much time and training, and is completed by a ceremony in which the seeker places his or her hand on a special cloth, producing a handprint by which the Protectors can determine the weave of the seeker's life and select the proper guide:
- Child of Wind: Attracted by challenge and diversity, always moving swiftly to the heart of the matter, yet willing to take the time needed to understand it.
- Child of Water: Appreciates the beauty and richness of life around him. Confident in his ability to succeed, but willing to seek help when the answers seem elusive.
- Child of Fire: Drawn by the excitement of new experiences, always seeking adventure over stasis. Sometimes his desire to succeed makes him miss the deeper meaning, but he always finds the answers he seeks when he really wants them.
Once the spirit guide has been selected, the seeker must find a manifestation of that guide in one of the glades of the stone forest, and bring it an appropriate offering. The drifting seed clusters of the weeping blossom tree are most pleasing to the wind spirit, while the water spirit prefers the delicate bubbles emitted by geysers in the stone forest, and the fire spirit is attracted by the burning liquid spilled from the flowers of the Serenian fire crocus. Once the offering is accepted, the spirit guide will join the traveler on each trip to the Dream World.
Choosing your spirit guide
Which spirit guide you are assigned to is determined by a score:
- Take a photo on the monorail: 0.1
- Finish the sound puzzle with Atrus: 0.1
- See Yeesha's gecko: 0.1
- Watch Yeesha play her flute: 0.1
- Contact Atrus with the crystal viewer: 0.1
- Link to both Haven and Spire from Tomahna: 0.125
- Link to Tomahna from both Haven and Spire: 0.125
- Link to Serenia from Tomahna: 0.125
- Link to Tomahna from Serenia: 0.125
- Spend time in the game: 0.5 total for 20 hours (0.0004 per minute)
- Use the Amulet: 0.5 total for all 101 flashbacks (0.0050 per flashback)
- Use the zip feature: 0.5 total for 30 uses (0.0167 per use)
- Use the hint map: 0.5 total for 25 uses (0.02 per use)
- Child of Fire: 0 to 1
- Child of Wind: 1 to 2
- Child of Water: 2 to 3
- "What determines your spirit guide?", Gaming StackExchange, accessed December 1, 2019.